If you were to receive an anonymous gift of one million dollars, what would you do with it and why?
Summary: Greed is more that just a desire to have more things. It is worshiping something besides the true God. God wants us to give generously to His work and to the poor. Generosity is one way we worship God.
Read Luke 12:13-21 and ask the following questions:
Consider how the following passages increase our understanding of this topic:
A. Read Colossians 3:5
Why do you think greed is included in this list of other sins?
Do you think most Christians view the sin of greed as negatively as the sin of sexual immorality? Why do you think that is?
Idolatry is the sin of worshiping something instead of God. Why do you think greed is considered idolatry?
B. Read Matthew 6:19-24
How can we store up treasures in heaven?
Jesus said that our heart will be where our treasure is. What does that mean?
C. Read Matthew 6:1-4
When we practice generosity, how are we to give?
4. What are the beliefs and values promoted in these passages?
5. What do they reveal about our human condition and God’s response?
6. How are these beliefs and values similar or different from those that have influenced you? (such as your family, culture, peers, church, etc.)
7. How might our faith increase and our lives change as we embrace what is true and important?
8. In light of what we’ve discussed, how can we pray for each other right now?
Since we last met, what happened as a result of expressing Christ’s love to others?
How can you, or we, express Christ’s love to others this week?
Here are a few ideas:
©1994-2018 Cru. All Rights Reserved.