Many struggle to keep the New Year’s self improvement resolutions. Instead of feeling defeated by our desire to look better or perform better, join us this month in a discussion of identity and how God truly sees us. #WhoAmI
Week 1: CHOSEN – we were intentionally created for relationship with God.
- “Through our adoption, God meets the deepest longings of our heart.” – Leigh Swanson
- Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) – Ephesians 1:5
- "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go…"John 15:16
- What makes you unique and how you can use your talents to glorify God? #cruchallenge
- Graphic: The truth about myself, even when I cannot feel it, is that I am a child of God, precious in his eyes.
- Caption: Every time you feel hurt or rejected, repeat this to yourself.
- “An identity grounded in God would mean that when we think of who we are, the first thing that would come to mind is our status as someone who is deeply loved by God” - David Brenner
- Verse: “He predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will.” Ephesians 1:5
- "The authority of God made all of creation. But it was the affection of God that made all His children." Ann Voskamp #WhoAmI
Week 2: BLESSED – benefits, privileges of being a child of god
- Graphic: “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.” Matthew 5:6
- "And the greatest gift we can give our great God is to let His love make us glad." Ann Voscamp #WhoAmI
- But our citizenship is in heaven–and we also await a savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ … – Philippians 3:20 #WhoAmI
- Two Tweets, 1 quote: “Faith is the gift of God. So is the air, but you have to breathe it;..” (1 of 2)
- “...so is bread, but you have to eat it; so is water, but you have to drink it.” D.L Moody (2 of 2)
Week 3: REDEEMED – though broken we are restored, viewed as redeemed creation
- Graphic: “I never realized that broken glass could shine so brightly.” – Henri Nouwen
- We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with him, then we’re certainly going to go through the good times with him! – Romans 8:17
- “Faith is simply believing that there is a God who loves us, in spite of the poison of sin coursing through our soul.” – E. Fitzpatrick
- "...You are not your own; you were bought with a price." – 1 Corinthians 6:19
- Our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin. Romans 6:6
- Graphic: “Take seriously the story that God has given you to live...because your story is the one that could set us all ablaze.” – Dan Allender
- Text for FB: “The image of God is central to developing a solid view of personality; that our sinfulness, not how we've been sinned against, is our biggest problem; that forgiveness, not wholeness, is our greatest need; that repentance, not insight, is the dynamic in all real change.” ― Dan Allender
- “For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45
- “ My lips will shout for joy, when I sing praises to you; my soul also, which you have redeemed.” Psalm 71:23
- It is impossible to live a life without failure, but you are not a failure. #WhoAmI
Week 4: TO BE GIVEN – we are made to be God’s light and gift to the world.
- Our greatest fulfillment lies in giving ourselves to others. – Henri Nouwen #WhoAmI
- Graphic: "To truly love someone is to see them as God intended.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- “Jesus needed, not once, but again and again at each stage of his mission and each crisis in his living and dying, a freshly confirmed knowledge of his own identity.” – Thomas Smail
- Video: Sarah enjoys relating with people, but when an encounter with a Deaf woman challenges her ability to connect, God redefines what it means for her to be a follower.
- Possible article: Article about a woman who fasted once a week for 17 years to see her brother come to faith (it’s in progress for Cru.org)
- How can you be a peacemaker? “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." Matthew 5:9 #WhoAmI
- We are “more than conquerors” through him who loved us. – Romans 8:37 #WhoAmI
- Read Matthew 5:1-16 and see what Jesus says about your identity. #WhoAmI #CruChallenge
- Graphic: We are called to become bread for each other – bread for the world. – Henri Nouwen
- Caption: Christian maturity comes to fruition when we live to bless and give ourselves to others.
- Graphic: “We are chosen, blessed, and broken to be given.” – Henri Nouwen
- "The role of an ambassador is not something we check-off our to-do list, because it's a heart attitude.” – Hailey Domeck
- What gifts has God given you for building up the body? #WhoAmI
- Verse: “So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up.” Ephesians 4:11-12
Latest Stories in Ready-to-Use Content
A 31-day content schedule on the power of togetherness and community.
A 12-day schedule exploring what it means to be faithful to God through our partnering with others.
A 31-day content schedule exploring what it means to be faithful to God in our work and in our rest.
©1994-2019 Cru. All Rights Reserved.