Love By Faith
Every community has prejudice against some group of people. We can overlook or exclude others. Despite our brokenness, Jesus showed us how to love by faith. Join us this month as we examine quotes and articles from people who are choosing to love by faith.
- Video: https://vimeo.com/197634811
- Caption: We don't choose our neighbors. God places them around us in His providence, and we are called to love them.
- Verse: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith – and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God –" Ephesians 2:8 #lovebyfaith
- Quote: “We’re not meant to ignore our racial differences; we’re meant to identify and embrace them...” – Christena Cleveland relm.ag/1v0zYc6
- Challenge: Read the Parable of the Good Samaritan, Luke 10:25-37. How does this story speak on how to love people well? #LovebyFaith
- Article: I didn’t think much about my ethnic identity or culture until I moved out of it. t.cru.org/3o9k #LoveByFaith
- Verse: "If we confess our sins, he is faithful & just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9 #lovebyfaith
- Quote/Graphic: “All heroes are shadows of Christ” – John Piper #lovebyfaith
- Challenge: Think about who has influenced you spiritually. How have they influenced you? Who could you influence spiritually? #LovebyFaith
- Article: How can I reach the world from your church, campus, or your community? #lovebyfaith
- Verse: "For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”" – Galatians 5:14 #lovebyfaith
- Article: The real problem is not that we face difficulty, but that we continually expect life to be easy. t.cru.org/3lsh
- Challenge: Where is your heart currently with the Lord? Bring that to the Lord in prayer. Remembering that He already knows where you are. #LovebyFaith
- Article: “God is teaching me that for diversity to flourish, humility is essential. Humility is vital for relationships to thrive, especially in relationships where people are quite different from each other.” t.cru.org/3o9p
- Verse: “But while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” – Romans 5:8
- Quote: “For diversity to flourish, humility is essential.” – Adrienne Minor
- Challenge: It takes humility to admit we don’t know everything. Who in your life can you listen to better today?
- Article: The addition of faith revolutionizes the power of love. https://www.cru.org/train-and-grow/transferable-concepts/love-by-faith.1.html
- Verse: "Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26 #lovebyfaith
- Quote/Graphic: “Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened.” Billy Graham
- Challenge: What does it mean to love by faith? Journal about what you think that means.
- Article: Corrie Ten Boom is an unbelievable picture of loving by faith. http://www.crosswalk.com/faith/women/the-faith-of-corrie-ten-boom.html #LoveByFaith
- Verse: "Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God." Hebrews 13:16 #lovebyfaith
- Quote: “Though our feelings come and go, God’s love for us does not.” – C.S. Lewis
- Challenge: Many people went to Jesus with their important requests. What is something that you desire deeply? Talk about that desire with Jesus.
- Article: These days, people have begun to refer to their friends as their “squad.” An ideal squad looks perfect, does everything together and can conquer the world. t.cru.org/3qdr
- Verse: "Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." – Galatians 6:2 #lovebyfaith
- Quote: "God uses men who are weak and feeble enough to lean on him." – Hudson Taylor #lovebyfaith
- Challenge: Think through your “squad” [t.cru.org/3qdr] Are there any gaps? You can trust God to fill these gaps and guide you into the community He has for you.
- Article: If we Christians don’t take reconciliation seriously, we are creating an added barrier between people and Jesus. How can we practically be a part of the solution, not the problem? t.cru.org/3pbs
- Verse: “Love never fails..." 1 Corinthians 13:8 #LovebyFaith
- Quote: “[We] have innate value, worth, dignity because God created us.” – Wendy Chen #lovebyfaith
- Challenge: Have you experienced love that has failed you? Think about how Christ’s love will NEVER fail you and spend some time praising Him for that.
- Article: Every Leader Needs To Cross Culture #LovebyFaith http://garyrunn.com/2015/04/29/every-leader-needs-to-cross-culture/
- Verse: ...let your light shine before others so that they may see your good works & give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Mt 5:16
- Quote/Graphic: Christian unity includes affectionate love, not just sacrifice for those you don’t like.” John Piper #LovebyFaith
- Challenge: We want to see you, God’s masterpiece, used in His Kingdom wherever He calls you to go and in whatever He calls you to do. Pray about your calling.
- Article: “Who do you find hard to love?” #LoveByFaith t.cru.org/3rs6
- Verse: "Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters." Romans 14:1
- Quote: “God proved His love on the Cross. When Christ hung, and bled, and died, it was God saying to the world, ‘I love you.’” Billy Graham
- Challenge: How do you respond when someone disagrees with you? Pray that the Holy Spirit would enable you to respond well the next time this happens.
- Article: “My husband’s home church, Temple Baptist in Rockford IL, has a history with refugees and immigrants. Started by Swedish arrivals, services were held in Swedish well into the last century. Apparently memories of being new to a nation were passed on and kept the hearts of members open as they have continued to welcome new arrivals, including refugee children.” http://www.judydouglass.com/2016/09/welcome-refugee-children-heather-dellamater/
- Verse: "...& that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought." 1 Cor 1:10 #lovebyfaith
- Quote/Graphic: “Love says: I’ve seen the ugly parts of you, and I’m staying.” Matt Chandler #LovebyFaith
- Challenge: Make a list of individuals that you have a hard time loving. Start praying for God to change your heart and allow you to love by faith.
- Article: “I discovered that if I am not motivated by love in my relationship with God and others, I feel drained and burned out after a time.” http://www.alt.eeccc.org/called-to-be-lovers/ #LoveByFaith
- Verse: "...watch out for those who cause divisions & put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned..." Rom 16:17
- Quote/Graphic: “Maturity starts with the willingness to give oneself.” – Elisabeth Elliot
- Challenge: Are there certain things that you could talk in person about rather than on Facebook? Who do you need to move towards?
- Video: "If the world hates you, just remember that it has hated me first." Jesus knows what it feels like to be rejected, and he cares for you.
- Verse/Graphic: "How good and pleasant it is when God's people live together in unity!" – Psalm 133:1 #lovebyfaith
- Quote: “God has given me a platform to share the Gospel in so many places. The bottom line is about Jesus, but I’ve found a way to tie it all together. Storying is the answer.” – Earline Blumhagen
- Challenge: Is there a co worker, neighbor, someone that you would like to know better? Ask them to a meal or coffee and ask them about their story.
- Article: Compassionate love holds the key to understanding the world. However I lacked that quality. https://www.cru.org/communities/locations/asia/philippines/changed-by-love.html
- Verse: “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.” Matthew 9:36
- Quote/Graphic: “There is no pit so deep, that God’s love is not deeper still.” Corrie Ten Boom #LovebyFaith
- Challenge: Ever spent time reading about past missionaries? Ask a mentor/friend about who you could read about & consider how they impacted the world.
- Article: “God is teaching me that we are called to a higher form of love. We are called to a painful love.” https://www.cru.org/train-and-grow/share-the-gospel/evangelism-principles/how-to-love-someone-when-you-think-theyre-wrong.html
- Verse: “Jesus went throughout all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom and healing every disease and every affliction.” Matthew 9:35
- Quote/Graphic: “Love, true Christ-like love, is meant to be unconditional, sacrificial and sometimes painful.” Naomi Arnold
- Challenge: How would your view of people change, if instead of viewing their identities as their ideas, if you saw them as a child of God? #LovebyFaith
- Article: "Laying aside my rights doesn’t mean pleasing others." #LoveByFaith t.cru.org/3rse
- Verse: There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and… https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Galatians%203:28&version=NIV via @biblegateway
- Quote: “The beauty about culture is it allows you to see. The liability of culture is it prevents you from seeing everything, and the only way to see more is by borrowing your neighbor's telescope.” – Richard Twiss
- Challenge: Think about your culture. How does your culture uniquely reflect God?
- Article: Christians Shouldn’t Be Culture’s Morality Police #LoveByFaith http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/worldview/christians-shouldnt-be-cultures-morality-police
- Verse/Graphic: “To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.” 1 Corinthians 9:22
- Quote: “You have inside you the capacity to invest your mental, emotional and spiritual gifts, in a way that glorifies God, impacts the world and satisfies your soul.” – David Jeremiah
- Challenge: Take some time today to pray for your country’s leaders, for wisdom as they lead their country in major decisions.
- Article: Love is Never a Waste https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/gospeldrivenchurch/2016/12/02/love-is-never-a-waste/ #LoveByFaith
- Verse: “So let’s stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall.” Colossians 1:16-17
- Quote/Graphic: "If we walk away from risk to keep ourselves safe, we will waste our lives." – John Piper
- Challenge: Asking questions can help show you care about what someone is saying & it will help you understand that person & their experience better.
- Article: “God is teaching me that we are called to a higher form of love. We are called to a painful love.” t.cru.org/3ofj
- Verse: “Sing praises to the LORD, who dwells in Zion; Declare among the peoples His deeds.” Psalm 9:11
- Quote: “My ethnic identity is not something to get over, it’s something to embrace.” – Jimmie McGee
- Challenge: Is the depth of God's love real to you? If so, what affect does that realization have on your life? If not, what can you do to increase your realization of His love?
- Article: Calling a Truce in the ‘Culture Wars’ #LovebyFaith http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god/worldview/calling-truce-culture-wars#jBuQc0tqzkp22Jj8.99
- Verse: “And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit,” 1 Thessalonians 1:6
- Quote/Graphic: “Your use of time, talent and money clearly shows your spiritual commitment because you invest in what your heart values most.” – Bill Bright
- Challenge: Giving by faith is taking God at His Word and giving generously in anticipation of His faithful provision. How can you take a faith step in your giving?
- Article: "He’s shown me how I am made in His image – ethnicity and all. He’s stirred in my heart a desire to affirm others’ ethnicities and cultures... because the gospel is good for every culture. In the end, all nations will praise Him." t.cru.org/3rt5
- Verse: “Faith in Christ Jesus is what makes each of you equal with each other, whether you are a Jew or a Greek…” Colossians 3:11
- Quote: “Can we come together and persevere who we are and celebrate who we are so we are all enriched?” – Adam Edgerly
- Challenge: Where could you volunteer your time or where could you donate your money to make an impact? #LovebyFaith
- Article: Put Off Nagging, Put On Love #LoveByFaith https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/put-off-nagging-put-on-love
- Verse: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,” Colossians 3:23
- Quote/Graphic: “We are all missionaries. Wherever we go we either bring people nearer to Christ or we repel them from Christ.” – Eric Liddell
- Challenge: Instead of nagging, ask yourself if there is something you could do to serve someone for Jesus' sake and serve with the strength that God supplies (1 Pet. 4:11).
- Article: My journey to love my brothers and sisters outside my culture, the majority culture, has been a learning and rich relationship-building experience. t.cru.org/3ssa
- Verse: “For you are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that you should walk in them” Ephesians 2:10
- Quote/Graphic: “Love is the greatest thing in the world – the greatest privilege and power known to man.” Bill Bright #LovebyFaith
- Challenge: Invite some of your closest friends over and spend some time praying for one another. Let this be a refreshing time for your soul.
- Article: One word started their conversation: Freedom. t.cru.org/3oq0
- Verse: “and I pray that the sharing of your faith may become effective for the full knowledge of every good thing that is in us for the sake of Christ.” Philemon 1:6
- Quote: “Agape is God's supernatural, unconditional love for you revealed supremely through our Lord's death on the cross for our sins.” Bill Bright
- Challenge: Today, instead of giving your opinion about something, try just listening to the other person's thoughts and feelings. #LovebyFaith
- Article: As a Christian painter, Kelly answers a call put out by Andy Crouch in his book Culture Making to neither avoid nor simply indulge in the culture around her. As a believer in Christ, she is active in creating it. https://www.cru.org/train-and-grow/spiritual-growth/art-and-culture-what-is-a-christians-responsibility.html
- Verse/Graphic: “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34 #LovebyFaith
- Quote/Graphic: Text – “One of the great unsung exercises of the Christian life is..." Graphic – the practice of loving by faith-unconditional love, God’s love, shed abroad in our hearts to a world of people who are dying for lack of love.” Bill Bright
- Challenge: Go to http://www.operationworld.org/prayer-calendar and spend some time praying for today’s country’s needs. This can be an excellent resource in praying for the world!
Latest Stories in Ready-to-Use Content
Use this 7-day campaign to explore listening to God’s call on your life.
©1994-2020 Cru. All Rights Reserved.