Work and Rest - Ready to Use Content
Download Campaign Cover Photo
Intro post: This month we’ll be exploring what it means to be faithful to God in our work and in our rest.
- Verse: When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices. – Proverbs 11:10
- Graphic: “Six days you shall work, but on the seventh day you shall rest. In plowing time and in harvest you shall rest.” – Exodus 34:21
- Quote: God has lavished all this on us for a reason: that we would use it for the common good, not for individual gain. – Amy Sherman
- Video: How to Spend a Day with the Lord
- Article: Do you understand the different types of rest that your body and soul needs?
- Graphic: “The foundation of effectiveness is not first techniques or tools, but character.” – Matt Perman
- Verse: Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; fret not yourself over the one who prospers in his way, over the man who carries out evil devices! – Psalm 37:7
- Quote: “Aimless, unproductive Christians contradict the creative, purposeful, powerful, merciful God we love.” – John Piper
- Question: What would you do if you could only do 1 thing in the next three years?
- Article: Here’s how to Spend a Day with the Lord.
- Graphic: Solitude is a place where Christ remodels us in his own image and frees us from the victimizing compulsions of the world.” – Henri J.M. Nouwen
- Verse: So God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it God rested from all his work that he had done in creation. – Genesis 2:3
- Quote: God is more interested in changing your thinking than in changing your circumstances. – Mark Buchanan
- How would you define “unhurried” for your life? What demonstrates unhurried living in your life? #UnhurriedLiving
- Article: Do you struggle with the idol of busyness?
- Graphic: “If God’s purpose for your job is that you serve the human community, then the way to serve God best is to do the job as well as it can be done.” – Tim Keller
- Verse: Better is a handful of quietness than two hands full of toil and a striving after wind. – Ecclesiastes 4:6
- Quote: We must do a better job of inspiring our members...and equipping them to live missionally through their vocation. – Amy Sherman
- Article: Can you relate to these tired missionaries?
- Graphic: “The antidote to exhaustion may not be rest but wholeheartedness... we are typically exhausted because we are not doing our TRUE work.” – Gordon T. Smith
- Quote: “Two things we want so desperately, glory and relationship, can coexist only in God.” – Tim Keller
- Verse: He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. – Psalm 23:2
- Question: Do you know a Christian working in tech? Tell them about the chance to use their skills serving God. indigitous.org @indigitous
- Article: Do you need to help someone learn how to manage their time better? Check out this discipleship tool.
- Graphic: “The bigger the change we hope for, the longer we must be willing to invest, work for, and wait for it.” – Andy Crouch
- Verse: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. – Philippians 4:6
- Quote: “I used to want to fix people, but now I just want to be with them.” – Bob Goff
- Tweet: What motivates you when you think about how to glorify God through your job?
- Article: Be a leader in your workplace by first becoming a servant.
- Graphic: It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep. – Psalm 127:2
- Quote: “Shoddy work is not just shoddy work. It's a failure of love.” – Matt Perman
- Tweet: What does it mean to you to be “called?”
- Scattered, frantic, boundary-less busyness comes naturally. The rhythms of work and rest require planning. #UnhurriedLiving
- Article: Is your attitude towards money causing problems?
- Graphic: Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men. – Colossians 3:23
- Quote: “Stewardship means to consciously take up our cultural power, investing it intentionally among the seemingly powerless, putting our power at their disposal to enable them to cultivate and create.” – Andy Crouch
- Quote: “Nothing is so fundamental to the spiritual life as learning to give thanks.” – Gordon T. Smith
- Quote: “Work is a major instrument of God’s providence; it is how he sustains the human world.” ― Tim Keller
- Verse: Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established. – Proverbs 16:3
- Quote: “Our daily work can be a calling only if it is reconceived as God’s assignment to serve others.” – Timothy J. Keller
- Graphic: “Our aim in delegating is not simply to make our own lives better and free up our time. It is also to build up the other person.” – Matt Perman
- Tweet: What are some ways you can glorify God in your job this week?
- Article: This series will help you steward your finances.
- Graphic: “Simply put: love does.” – Bob Goff
- Verse: Jesus took time away to rest with God. But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray. – Luke 5:16
- Tweet: Do you think there is a difference between a call to a job and the call to missions? How?
- Challenge: Examine your week and honestly evaluate where you are at in obeying God’s command for you to take Sabbath rest.
- Quote: "We all know we need rest from work, but we don’t realize we have to work hard just to rest." – Kevin DeYoung #UnhurriedLiving
- Graphic: Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. – Matthew 11:29
- Quote: “Practicing rhythms of silence and words, stillness and action, helps us learn to wait on God – which doesn't come easily for those of us accustomed to busily trying to make things happen.” ― Ruth Haley Barton
- Question: What choices are you making today to avoid regrets as you look back at your life?
- Article: Do you struggle with people-pleasing?
- Resource: A toolkit for living missionally.
- Graphic: "Jesus calls us to his rest, and meekness is His method. The meek man cares not at all who is greater than he, for he has long ago decided that the esteem of the world is not worth the effort." – A.W. Tozer
- Verse: “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!” – Psalm 46:10
- Quote: “More important than efficiency is effectiveness – getting the right things done. Efficiency doesn’t matter if you are doing the wrong things in the first place.” – Matt Perman
- Resource: Pass on these resources to someone considering a career in law.
- Graphic: What do you miss when you speed up? What might you experience if you were to slow down?
- Graphic: “To be Christian is to stake our lives on this belief: the only cultural goods that ultimately matter are the ones that love creates.” – Andy Crouch
- Quote: “The gospel also gives us new power for work by supplying us with a new passion and a deeper kind of rest.” – Tim Keller
- Verse: But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load. – Gal 6:4-5
- Quote: “Hurry is not just a disordered schedule. Hurry is a disordered heart.” – John Ortberg #UnhurriedLiving
- Resource: Pass on these resources to someone considering a career in business
- Graphic: So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. – 1 Corinthians 10:31
- Article: Are you struggling in your busy life to pray?
- Challenge: Where can you schedule some unhurried think time this week? #CruChallenge
- Resource: Do you know someone who is getting ready to graduate this school year? Pass on this devotional to them.
- Resource: Pass on these resources to someone considering a medical career.
- Quote: “We were all meant to save many lives. God is always trying to save lives, and it seems like He usually uses the least likely people to do it.” – Bob Goff
- Challenge: Think of someone who exemplifies unhurried living. Ask them how they do it. #CruChallenge
- Resource: Are you struggling in your schedule to take time with the Lord? Here is a resource to refresh you.
- Graphic: So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath. – Mark 2:28
- Resource: Pass on these resources to someone considering a career in the arts.
- Graphic: “Contentment is a state of the heart, not a state of affairs.” – Linda Dillow
- Verse: Better is a dry morsel with quiet than a house full of feasting with strife. – Proverbs 17:1
- Challenge: How can you intentionally slow down to make the person with you feel valuable and important? #CruChallenge
- Article: What if the leaders in your workplace took a cue from Christ? Pray for these concepts to be true of your leaders.
- Resource: Is there someone in your life whom you can connect to Cru City?
- Quote: “Am I desiring and seeking the temporal and eternal good of my neighbor with the same zeal, ingenuity and perseverance that I seek my own?” – John Piper
- Graphic: The plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance, but everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty.–Proverbs 21:5
- Verse: Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. – Matthew 5:5
- Quiz/Assessment: How does your personality connect you with God?
- Quote: “If the work of creating consistently leaves us depressed or drained, it is likely that we have somehow missed the path.” – Andy Crouch
- Rhythms of work and rest, productivity and refreshment, ebb and flow, produce the best results. #UnhurriedLiving
- Resource: Do your coworkers and classmates have faith questions? Check out this app full of resources to help them overcome spiritual barriers.
- Article: Here are 5 tips to make God an everyday conversation at your work.
- Graphic: “You have been saved through a dying sacrifice, so you are free to be a living one. – Tim Keller
- Graphic: For I will satisfy the weary soul, and every languishing soul I will replenish.” – Jeremiah 31:25
- Verse: Let all that you do be done in love. – 1 Corinthians 16:14
- The land won’t produce a harvest if it never lies fallow. #UnhurriedLiving
- Article: Is Social Media Just a Waste of Time?
- Article: Do you work or take class with atheists and agnostics? Here’s how to talk with them.
- Graphic: “Faithfulness is God’s standard! As His servants we are not required to be perfect or successful – simply faithful.” – Linda Dillow
- Quote: “I don't want to get to the end of my life and look back and realize that the best thing about me was I was organized.” – Shauna Niequist
- Love is patient. Love is grace-paced. The ultimate goal of an unhurried life is love. #UnhurriedLiving
- Verse: In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty. – Proverbs 14:23
- Article: A failure at work leads to an opportunity.
- Graphic: But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare. – Jeremiah 29:7
- Resource: Here is a Bible study about the Holy Spirit – consider how the Holy Spirit changes how you work and rest this month.
- Verse: For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead. – James 2:26
- Hurry glances. Love slows down to notice, care, and act. #UnhurriedLiving
- Resource: Are you interested in Bible studies for your personal walk and small group?
- Graphic: In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety. – Psalm 4:8
- Verse: Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time. – Colossians 4:5
- Quote: “Be very careful that you are not giving yourself to a pale imitation of life with Christ – life about Christ, or life generally near to Christ.” – Shauna Niequist
- Quote: "As much as we complain about it, though, there's part of us that is drawn to a hurried life ... It means I don't have to look too closely at my heart or life." – John Ortberg
- Article: Stewarding Privilege Like Jesus.
- Graphic: Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands upon us; yes, establish the work of our hands! – Psalm 90:17
- Graphic: “If we have not quiet in our minds, outward comfort will do no more for us…” – John Bunyan
- Challenge: Create a special place in your home where you can pray and reflect. #CruChallenge
- Article: Is parenting your job and ministry? This one’s for you.
- Do you struggle with hearing God amidst all the noise of life?
- Graphic: “I used to be afraid of failing at something that really mattered to me, but now I'm more afraid of succeeding at things that don't matter.” – Bob Goff
- Verse: For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? – Luke 14:28
- Challenge: Take time to express gratitude to God for your meal before eating. #CruChallenge
- Article: Here are some helpful tips for a stressed, hurried family.
- Article: Are you annoyed by someone at work? “Jerks need Jesus too.”
- Graphic: “One of the best places for efficiency is being efficient with things so that you can be effective with people.” – Matt Perman
- Quote: For a lack of attention a thousand forms of loveliness elude us everyday” – Evelyn Underhill
- The unhurried friend focuses on you without phone, email or text distractions. #unhurriedliving
- Article: Are you leaving a lasting impact at your workplace?
- Verse: Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense. – Proverbs 12:11
- Graphic: He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. – Psalm 91:1
- Quote: “The secret of effectiveness is to know what really counts, then do what really counts, and not worry about the rest.” – Rick Warren
- Unhurried relationships value connection over accomplishment. #UnhurriedLiving
- Article: Help for families to survive busyness.
- Article: How to save your marriage from your job.
- Quote: “We are starved for quiet, to hear the sound of sheer silence that is the presence of God himself.” – Ruth Haley Barton
- Verse: And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. – Colossians 3:17
- Some say that when we live a life of hurry, we are avoiding looking too closely at our deeper feelings, our loneliness, our disappointments, our “stuff”.
- Challenge: Write down 10 things you are thankful for today. Then write down 10 more.
- Article: If you have a problem with grumbling, then you're not alone.
- Graphic: Also that everyone should eat and drink and take pleasure in all his toil – this is God's gift to man. – Ecclesiastes 3:13
- Article: Do you struggle with jealousy about others’ social media posts? “When Instagram makes you Instasad.”
- Article: Signs you might be headed to a Quarter-life Crisis.
- Is a song better if you skim through it, or if you take the time to really listen? #UnhurriedLiving
- Article: A Workaholic Learns from his Mistakes.
- Graphic: “..Proper stewarding of vocational power – of any kind of power – is always coupled with profound humility.” – Amy Sherman
- Verse: Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work… – Titus 3:1
- Challenge: Try one of these activities you may find restful: Go on a walk, Work in a garden, Write a card or letter by hand or journal #CruChallenge
- Article: Is there gossip in your workplace?
- Article: Has someone ever taken credit for your idea? About giving credit where credit is due.
- Graphic: Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain. – 1 Cor 15:58
- Quote: “Productivity comes from engagement, not control and mere compliance.” – Matt Perman
- Challenge: List three things that give your work purpose. Ask yourself if they are sufficient to generate satisfaction and rest.
- Challenge: Write out your favorite Bible verse(s) on rest and place it where it will remind you to unhurry your heart #CruChallenge
- Quote: We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. – Nelson Mandela
- Verse: And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. – 1 Thess. 5:14
- Quote: Too enter our Sabbath rest, we must put an end to self-reliance – trusting in our own abilities to overcome difficulties, rise above challenges, escape tragedies, or achieve personal greatness.” – Charles Swindoll
- Quote: Avoiding overwork requires deep rest in Christ’s finished work for your salvation (Hebrews 4:1–10). Only then will you be able to ‘walk away’ regularly from your vocational work and rest. – Tim Keller
- Challenge: Read Psalm 51. What truths about God do you see?
- Graphic: “Be still, and know that I am God! I will be honored by every nation. I will be honored throughout the world.” – Psalm 46:10
Latest Stories in Ready-to-Use Content
A 31-day content schedule on the power of togetherness and community.
A 12-day schedule exploring what it means to be faithful to God through our partnering with others.
A 30-day campaign on growth and change.
©1994-2019 Cru. All Rights Reserved.