Thank you for choosing to engage with the Desire series.
We hope this guide will help you discuss the material with a friend. Your conversation will be more rewarding if you take some time to read through the article and this guide before you meet.
If you’re comfortable doing so, invite God to be part of your conversation.
Discuss what stood out to you from the article.
Talk about anything from the article that you have questions about or don’t understand.
Key Points From Article #4
- God created marriage as the context for sex. When we dwell on and act out our cravings for sex without the real commitment of marriage, we reduce a profoundly spiritual experience to a predominantly physical one.
- In what ways can physical intimacy outside of marriage have harmful effects on our ability to form healthy relationships?
- “Only Jesus can be all that I need. No man can completely satisfy me,” writes the author.
- Does it makes sense to you that only God can satisfy our deepest needs? Why or why not?
- Avoiding our triggers, renewing our minds and creating healthy connection with others can help us control the unhealthy expression of our desires for sex and intimacy.
- What are some of your triggers?
- How can you avoid being controlled by them?
- The article describes some common lies that we believe. Which of those lies have you believed in the past or are you believing now?
- Why is change more likely to happen in safe community than in isolation?
Next Steps — Read through these together.
- Ask God to provide insight about your triggers, which lies you are believing and where you can find safe community.
- Share with your discussion partner one practical step forward you plan to take in these areas during the coming week.
- Mark a date on your calendar to discuss another article from the Desire series.