Community - Digital Ministry
Download Campaign Cover Video
Intro post: Community. Building great communities where we can see transformation take place in ourselves, and that God might use our communities to change the world.
- Verse: “Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience” – Col. 3:12
- Quote/question: “Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” – Helen Keller
- Where can you invite others in to things you normally do alone?
- God desires for us to be connected with others. If you aren’t already, pray for opportunities to connect with a community of believers.
- Quote: “As you love God and serve him, you will undoubtedly experience the greatest adventure life has to offer.” – Bill Bright
- Article: Biblical Community
- Verse: For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function, so we...are one body in Christ – Rom. 12:4-5a
- Quote: “Friendship is born at the moment when one person says to another: “What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” – C.S. Lewis
- Have you experienced biblical community before? If so, what have been the key elements in that community? Share with us!
- Graphic: Eugene Cho quote
- Caption: How are you doing life together in your community? What does that look like?
- Quote: “Vulnerability is the birthplace of connection and the path to the feeling of worthiness.” – Brene Brown
- Verse: For Christ’s sake..I’m content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions & calamities. When I’m weak, then I am strong – 2 Cor 12:10
- Article: How to Overcome Your Blind Spots as a New Christian
- Caption: God is perfect, I’m not. His plan for my life is better than anything I could come up with on my own.
- Reach out to a friend this week and seek accountability in an area such as keeping a quiet time or praying together #CruChallenge
- Why is biblical community so difficult to establish and maintain? Share your thoughts with us!
- Article: What does a gospel-centered community group look like?
- Quote: “When the ways of friends converge, the whole world looks like home for an hour.” – Hermann Hesse
- Verse: “For as in one body we have many members, and the members do not all have the same function” – Romans 12:4
- Are you currently part of a gospel-centered community group? If not, is there one you can join in your church or neighborhood?
- Graphic: Philippians 2:4
- Caption: How does your community provide you opportunities to care for yourself and others?
- God has made each of us unique, and we connect with him in different ways. How do you connect with God best? Spoken word poem thanks to Michael Masayuki Fujimoto
- Article: Three Temptations that Destroy Community
- Quote: “There are no better people or worse people - there are only God-made souls.” – Ann Voskamp
- Article: Do you know someone in college who might enjoy getting connected with Cru? Send them here – t.cru.org/5jz9
- Verse: “Keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.” – Jude 1:21
- Article: The Difficulty of Community
- Caption: When community gets difficult
- Quote: We're stronger and braver together. Don’t let the world and culture make competitors out of those who are comrades in arms. – Beth Moore
- Verse: “And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him–a threefold cord is not quickly broken.” – Ecc. 4:12
- What kind of step would you like to take in order to become less distracted by technology and more present with people? 🏃🏽📱
- Graphic: 1 Cor. 1:10
- Caption: Conflict is inevitable in community, how can you seek to remain united even in the midst of that conflict?
- Article: The Role of Community in Discipleship
- Caption: “A community is a place where believers connect with each other on a soul level and in doing so, spur each other on to a deeper relationship with God.”
- Quote: “A disciple is a disciple maker.” – Francis Chan
- Verse: “As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God’s varied grace” – 1 Peter 4:10
- Who are two or three people that you could mentor in a discipleship group? Begin praying for them today!
- Article: What can Christians learn from people in sororities and fraternities?
- Caption: Can Christians learn anything from people in fraternities and sororities?
- Video: What is Community to Cru?
- Caption: What happens when someone connects to a Cru community anywhere in the world? Take a look.
- Article: Community: The Context of Spiritual Growth
- Caption: Why spiritual growth most often takes place in the context of community
- Verse: “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.” – Proverbs 17:17
- Quote: “I can no longer condemn or hate a brother for whom I pray, no matter how much trouble he causes me.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- How have you grown in your relationship with the Lord through involvement in community? Share with us!
- Quote: “The most terrible poverty is loneliness, and the feeling of being unloved.” – Mother Teresa
- Verse: “Thus says the Lord of hosts, Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another” – Zechariah 7:9
- Article: 3 Ways to Care for Your Depressed Friend
- Caption: Your friend doesn't need solutions, advice, or motivational speeches, they need you.
- Do you have people in your life who are hurting? Instead of giving advice, ask them how they are feeling and how you can pray for them.
- A prayer to consider: Lord, grant me wisdom how to love well those who are hurting today
- Article: As Christians, where can you have effective community?
- Caption: As Christians we are called to community. We cannot live the Christian life alone. We are not effective alone. We are social by design.
- Quote: “But you can't cheat real connection. It's built up slowly. It's about trust and time.” – Brene Brown
- Verse: Being desirous of you, we were ready to share not only the gospel but also our selves, because you became very dear to us – 1 Thess. 2:8
- Begin praying this week for opportunities to develop friendships with a community or people group different than you! #CruChallenge
- Some suggestions of local communities that you can engage with:
- Charity/service organization
- Sport club/team
- Your neighborhood
- Article: Have You Been Hurt by Online Comments?
- Caption: Have you been hurt by things people have said online?
- Verse: Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up..that it may give grace to all who hear – Eph. 4:29
- Is there someone that you have made hurtful comments to or about online? How can you make amends with that person?
- Graphic: 1 Thess. 5:11
- Caption: How can you build someone up in your community today?
- Quote: “Few friendships would survive if each one knew what his friend says of him behind his back.” – Blaise Pascal
- Verse: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” – 1 John 1:9
- Article: “I Don’t Know” and Other Things I’m Learning About Diversity
- Caption: “God is teaching me that for diversity to flourish, humility is essential.”
- God shows favor to the humble, how can you practice humility in your relationships today?
- Quote: “Believers are never told to become one; we already are one and are expected to act like it.” – Joni Eareckson Tada
- Seek to learn more about people who are different than you: their background, culture, and family history #CruChallenge
- Video: Going Next Door
- Caption: Check out the steps of faith these people took to develop community in their apartment neighborhoods. We're grateful for Apartment Life, a partner ministry!
- Verse: “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” – Matthew 7:12
- What are tangible ways that you can serve those living in your apartment complex or neighborhood?
- Quote: “I think that the unified body of Christ is the vehicle through which God wants to do everything.” – Christena Cleveland
- A suggested prayer: Lord, by your grace, reveal the blind spots in my own heart which cause me to be a barrier to unity in your body.
- Caption: “Due to Christ’s death on the cross, your sins have been forgiven. But you will continue to sin. So, what should you do when you sin? And what do you do when you don’t feel forgiven?” Community plays a key role in this process
- Article: Would Jesus have Joined a Fraternity?
- Verse: “Walk in wisdom towards outsiders, making the best use of the time.” – Colossians 4:5
- Take a step of faith towards a people group that you ordinarily would not! Pray for them or try to meet people at an event.
- Quote: “The way you store up treasure in heaven is by investing in getting people there.” – Rick Warren
- Quote: “Love God. Love people. And do stuff. That's my punch list everyday.” – Bob Goff
- Caption: Christian Versus Christian: Healing our Dysfunctional Church
- Verse: “Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind.” – 1 Peter 3:8
- What divisions exist within your sphere of influence? What step can you take today to begin addressing those barriers?
- Graphic: Gal. 6:2
- Caption: We are called to bear one another’s burdens. How can you serve your community in that way?
- Article: How to offer refugees a warm welcome
- Caption: “They long for connection, to know that friendship can be reciprocal and that when something is given it is not out of obligation,”
- Article: God Made me Hispanic. And it was Good.
- Verse: “Praise the Lord, all nations! Extol him, all peoples!” – Psalm 117:1
- This week, seek to learn about the customs, traditions, and ideologies of a culture that is not your own!
- Quote: “It is theoretically and practically impossible to build any community apart from love and justice.” – Ravi Zacharias
- Verse: “Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.” – James 5:16a
- Graphic: John Piper quote
- Caption: “We all encounter people in our lives that we don't necessarily like, yet we are called to love them. How well do you love those people?”
- Verse: “And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.” – Colossians 3:14
- Loving those you don’t like can be very difficult, but the Spirit enables us to do so! Seek to live by the power of the Holy Spirit today!
- Quote: “The choice to withhold forgiveness slowly but effectively destroys family unity.” – Patricia Ennis
- Verse: “Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” – Proverbs 16:18
- Article: The Power of Community
- Caption: Growing in a community of faith in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Verse: Aim for restoration, comfort each other, agree with each other, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you. – 2 Cor 13:11
- How has God used community in your life to help you grow in your faith? Share with us!
- Graphic: Lecrae quote
- Caption: Many think that vulnerability is a sign of weakness in a person, but how is it a sign of great strength instead?
- Quote: “To gather with God’s people in united adoration of the Father is as necessary to the Christian life as prayer.” – Martin Luther
- Article: How to Love Someone When You Think They’re Wrong
- Verse: “So then let us pursue what makes for peace and mutual upbuilding.” – Romans 14:19
- Quote: “We must not project ourselves as screaming angry people but as broken people living under the cross.” – D.A. Carson
- Seek to love and understand someone in your community that you may have disagreement with. How do you think they’ll respond?
- Graphic: Rosa Parks quote
- Caption: How has anger prevented you from deeper relationships in community?
- Is there someone you know that you disagree with that you could move towards to love and understand this week? #CruChallenge
- Take an honest inventory, are all your friends just like you? If so, pray for wisdom and opportunities for new and diverse relationships.
- Article: Are All Your Friends Just Like You?
- Caption: When you do not seek friendships with people of different ethnicities and cultures, you miss out.
- Quote: “Simply by our proximity to Jesus, we can bring hope and life to people and places trapped in discouragement and despair.” – Louie Giglio
- Verse: “Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.” – Proverbs 27:17
- Do you know someone isolated from biblical community? Seek them out and invite them in this week! #CruChallenge
- Article: An Isolated People: What the Deaf Need You to Hear
- Verse: “Complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind.” – Philippians 2:2
- How can you reach out to someone who is culturally different than you this week?
- Graphic: Tim Keller quote
- Caption: It is often easy to isolate ourselves from the people that live in our neighborhoods. How can you relationally move closer to those people?
- Quote: “Isn’t it amazing that we are all made in God’s image, and yet there is so much diversity among his people?” – Desmond Tutu
- Article: The Journey to Loving Outside My Culture
- Caption: “My journey to loving my brothers and sisters outside my culture, the majority culture, has been a learning experience and rich relationship-building experience.”
- Verse: “Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.” – Romans 15:7
- Do you have hesitations about seeking community with those different than you? Pray to God about those and ask him to open relational doors!
- Quote: “In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
- Quote: We become not a melting pot, but a beautiful mosaic. Different people, different beliefs..different hopes, different dreams. – Jimmy Carter
- Video: “Vapor”
- Caption: Are you settling for pleasure and the pursuit of the American dream instead of a relationship with the God of the universe? Check out this video from our friends at Moving Works. To read more about Moving Works, head to facebook.com/movingworks
- Article: New York City Actor finds community, creates safe haven for others
- Quote: “A deep sense of love and belonging is an irreducible need of all people.” – Brene Brown
- Verse: “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.” – John 15:12
- Has God met your need for community in an unexpected way? Share with us how!
- Article: Squad Goals: Six People You Want in Your Squad
- Caption: Here are the 6 people you want in your squad
- Verse: “Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.” – Proverbs 13:20
- How has God uniquely gifted you to serve the communities that you are involved with?
- Graphic: Hebrews 10
- Caption: “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.” – Hebrews 10:24
- Quote: “If you don’t have a good relationship with your community, you cannot assist them or welcome them to church.” –Kenyan runner Wilson Kipsang
- Verse: “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.” – 1 John 4:7
- Everyone has specific hobbies and interests they enjoy. Seek to get involved in a community revolving around that hobby!
- Quote: “Ultimate reality is a community of persons who know and love one another.” – Tim Keller
- Graphic: Romans 12:10
- Caption: The call to love everyone, especially those we do not like, with affection can be difficult. How can you practice this type of love?
- Article: Dear Christian Man, Why are You so Lonely?
- Caption: “Information alone doesn’t change our beliefs or lead to transformation. Biblical truth experienced through meaningful relationship is a recipe for life change.”
- Verse: “O Lord, all my longing is before you; my sighing is not hidden from you.” – Psalm 38:9
- Take an inventory of your relationships: Do you have any deep relationships or are they all shallow and surface-based?
- Quote: “Friendship needs no words – it is solitude delivered from the anguish of loneliness.” – Dag Hammarskjold
- Video: An intriguing film you can share this Halloween that explores the theme of sacrifice.
- Video: Want to get real?
- Caption: It took Aaron a bit of effort and courage to find some real friends at Babson College, but he was glad that he did!
- Verse: “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God.” – Isaiah 41:10a
- Are you willing to take the risk of being vulnerable in community with fellow believers? Why or why not?
- Quote: “Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.” – Helen Keller
- What are your barriers to being in a community where you can be real?
2) Lack of connections with safe people
- Verse: If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with each other, and Jesus’ blood cleanses us from all sin. – 1 Jn 1:7
- Engage deeper in community by confessing your sins to each other and committing to walk with each other through life’s challenges.
- Graphic: Dietrich Bonhoeffer quote
- Caption: How can you pray for one another this week?
- Quote: “And for all these people alike, the key to healing turned out to be the same. Each had a hurt he had to forgive.” – Corrie ten Boom
- Pray that God would bring people into your life who you can confess your burdens and struggles to. We are not meant to do life alone.
- Article: How to Love Your Neighbor and Your Neighborhood
- Caption: “The idea of rootedness and being committed to a place is problematic in our globalizing culture. Yet as Christians we find ourselves increasingly talking about our craving and need for tangible community.”
- Article: Caption: “with a breath of prayer on my lips, asking for wisdom, I transitioned into the goriest presentation of the gospel I’d ever heard and told.”
- Article: Matt Went Over the Edge
- Quote: “If you want to bond with your friends, do something very hard with them, something that you won't be able to do alone.” – Donald Miller
- Verse: Count it all joy when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. – James 1:2-3
- What first step can you take today to move towards deeper community?
- Article: How to Grow Friendships That Last a Lifetime
- Caption: Here are three lessons we’ve learned about building friendships where iron truly sharpens iron.
- Verse: “Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow.” – Ecc. 4:9-10a
- Identify a few people in your life that you are trusting God to develop deeper community with and pray for them #CruChallenge
- Quote: “Friendships are discovered rather than made.” – Harriet Beecher Stowe
- What qualities do you look for in a close friend? Share your thoughts!
- Article: What makes the gospel good news to millenials?
- Caption: “Jesus touched, healed and proclaimed He is the good news, that heaven had come. Wherever Jesus went, He wiped away shame.”
- Verse: “Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.” – 1 Corinthians 12:27
- How have you experienced God’s grace through the broader church community? Share with us!
- Quote: “The Christian, however, must bear the burden of a brother. He must suffer and endure the brother.” – Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Graphic: Henri Nouwen quote
- Caption: How can your interpersonal relationships reflect a deeper commitment to the Lord and each other's well being?
Latest Stories in Ready-to-Use Content
A 12-day schedule exploring what it means to be faithful to God through our partnering with others.
A 31-day content schedule exploring what it means to be faithful to God in our work and in our rest.
A 30-day campaign on growth and change.
©1994-2019 Cru. All Rights Reserved.