What if you could predict that a major world event would take place five minutes from now? What if you could accurately describe what would happen? Would knowing the future give you unusual power? Would anyone believe you? Possibly some would, but how many would not?
Many people do not believe the Bible, yet it miraculously foretells hundreds of events, sometimes in minute detail, and usually hundreds - sometimes thousands - of years ahead. Some prophecies concern cities and countries, such as Tyre, Jericho, Samaria, Jerusalem, Palestine, Moab, and Babylon. Others relate to specific individuals. Many have already been fulfilled, but some are still in the future.
Jesus Christ is the subject of more than 300 Old Testament prophecies. His birth nearly 2,000 years ago, and events of His life had been foretold by many prophets during a period of 1,500 years. History confirms that even the smallest detail happened just as predicted. It confirms beyond a doubt that Jesus is the true Messiah, the Son of God and Savior of the world.
The following chart lists some of the amazing predictions concerning Jesus Christ, together with the record of their fulfillment:
Old Testament Prophecy: Isaiah 7:14
Fullfillment in Jesus: Matthew 1:18,22,23
Old Testament Prophecy: Micah 5:2
Fullfillment in Jesus: Luke 2:4,6,7
His Childhood in Egypt
Old Testament Prophecy: Hosea 11:1
Fullfillment in Jesus: Matthew 2:14-15
The Purpose for His Death
Old Testament Prophecy: Isaiah 53:4-6
Fullfillment in Jesus: 1 Corinthians 15:21; 1 Peter 2:24
Old Testament Prophecy: Zechariah 11:12-13; 13:6
Fullfillment in Jesus: Matthew 26:14-16; 27:3-10
Old Testament Prophecy: Psalm 22
Fullfillment in Jesus: Matthew 27
Old Testament Prophecy: Psalm 16:9-10
Fullfillment in Jesus: Acts 2:31
The printed version of this study contains 29 pages of preparatory notes not included in the online version of this study. Click here to order the printed study guide, The Uniqueness of Jesus.
Jesus Claims Concerning Who He Is
- In your own words, write the claims Christ made concerning Himself in the following verses:
Mark 14:61-62, John 6:38, John 8:42, John 5:17-18, John 10:30
- What did those who heard what Jesus said think He meant?
John 14:7, John 14:8-9
- What did Jesus claim to do in the following verses?
John 5:22, Matthew 9:6, John 6:45-47
- What did Jesus predict in the following verses?
Mark 9:31, Luke 18:31-33, John 14:1-3
- What characteristics of Jesus are attributes of an omnipotent God?
John 2:24, Matthew 8:26-27, John 11:43-45
According to the passages above, Jesus claimed to be God. He made the kinds of claims that only a person who presumed he was God would make. Both His friends and His enemies called Him God, and He never attempted to deny it. He even commended His followers for believing He was God.
The Importance of the Truth About His Identity
- Suppose Jesus Christ were not God. If He knew He was not God and that none of those claims were true, what could we conclude about Him?
- Suppose Jesus was sincerely wrong. Suppose He sincerely believed all these fantastic claims, even though they were not true. What could we conclude about Him?
- Why is it important to investigate His claims?
What Others Said About Who He Was
- What did His followers say about Jesus?
John the Baptist (John 1:29), Peter (Matthew 16:16)
How did Jesus respond to what Peter said? (verse 17)
Martha (John 11:27), Thomas (John 20:28)
How does Christ's response to what Thomas said (verse 29) apply to you?
Paul (II Corinthians 5:21, Titus 2:13)
- His enemies:
The Jews (John 10:33)
Judas (Matthew 27:3-4)
Pilate (Matthew 27:22-23)
The Roman Soldier (Matthew 27:54)
- Who do you believe Jesus is and on what do you base that belief? List the facts that particularly help you know that He is God.
- Why is it important that you personally recognize who Jesus Christ really is?
- Have you invited Jesus Christ into your life?
- What changes do you expect to experience in your life as a result of receiving Christ as your Savior and Lord?
Adapted from The 10 Basic Steps Toward Christian Maturity, by Bill Bright, co-founder of Campus Crusade for Christ. © Cru. All rights reserved.