What does it take to begin a relationship with God? Do you need to devote yourself to unselfish religious deeds? Must you become a better person so that God will accept you? Learn how you can know God personally.
Learn the basics of what Christians believe.
Get the answers to frequently asked questions on Christian beliefs and practices.
Explore answers to life's biggest questions.
We all have a story. Read about individuals who have been transformed by faith.
Take the next step in your faith journey with resources on prayer, devotionals and other tools for personal and spiritual growth.
Explore resources to help you live out your life and relationships in a way that honors God.
Find resources for personal or group Bible study.
Learn to develop your skills, desire and ability to join others on their spiritual journeys and take them closer to Jesus.
Help others in their faith journey through discipleship and mentoring.
Develop your leadership skills and learn how to launch a ministry wherever you are.
View our top Cru resources in more than 20 languages.
Have some fun taking various quizzes and assessments to learn about yourself and others.
Volunteer abroad this year on a short term global missions trip offered by one of the best, most-reliable Christian missions organizations in the world.
Internship opportunities with Cru's ministries.
If you're looking for the best Christian jobs and careers, check out Cru's ministry job openings for full- and part-time missionaries and professionals.
Live in another country building relationships and ministries with eternal impact.
Would you like to give your time to work with Cru? We need you.
Find a Cru event near you.
Use your hobbies and interests to find the best place for you to serve.
Helping students know Jesus, grow in their faith and go to the world to tell others.
Reflecting Jesus together for the good of the city.
Partnering with urban churches to meet physical and spiritual needs.
Striving to see Christ-followers on every team, in every sport and in every nation.
Equipping families with practical approaches to parenting and marriage.
Reaching students and faculty in middle and high school.
Bringing hope and resources to military families worldwide.
How we seek to journey together with everyone towards a relationship with Jesus.
Answers to questions on donations, financial policies, Cru’s annual report and more.
What we believe about the gospel and our call to serve every nation.
Learn about Cru's global leadership team.
When the global church comes together then powerful things can happen.
Leading from values so others will walk passionately with God to grow and bear fruit.
Because ethnicity is part of the good of creation, we seek to honor and celebrate the ethnic identity of those with whom we serve as well as those we seek to reach.
Showing God in action in and through His people.
Hear what others are saying about Cru.
Amplify your gospel impact and streamline your giving!
Paul ends the last section by calling us to rejoice in the Lord. His very next thought is to look out for false teachers who were teaching that you could be righteous before God based on performing the Law of God. Paul knows from his own experience that when you trust in your own performance it destroys faith in God, which ends up alienating us from God and his power to truly transform us.
So Paul draws on his personal experience to urge the Philippians to trust in the righteousness that is theirs by faith in Christ that they might enjoy their relationship with God, experience His power in his life and have the motivation to press on because of the assurance of God’s favor.
The joy of knowing Christ is possible only through the gospel.
Fallen Condition Focus:
We miss out on the joy and power of knowing Christ when we put our confidence in our own righteousness and not his.
Christ provides us with his perfect righteousness by faith so that we might know him and the power of his resurrection.
When have you been in a position where you had to trust another person for something important? What made it easy or difficult to trust them?
1. Who are the “dogs”, “evildoers” and “those who mutilate the flesh”? How are they contrasted with the Philippians?
2. In the last section, Paul called us to “rejoice in the Lord”. His very next thought is to “Look out for the dogs, look out for the evildoers, look out for those who mutilate the flesh.” How might the influence of these people keep the Philippians from rejoicing in the Lord?
3. What does it mean to “put no confidence in the flesh”? Why do you think Paul give himself as an example of this? What does Paul put his confidence in now?
4. Look over Paul’s credentials. What “gain” was he deriving from them? Why does he now see them as loss?
5. What does it mean to be “found in” Christ? How is this related to being righteous?
6. Paul says the ultimate purpose of being righteous is so that he can know Christ and the power of his resurrection. What does he mean by these things?
7. What is the resurrection of the dead?
8. Some people argue that if you are assured eternal life there is no more motivation to persevere in a life of serving Christ. Yet here Paul indicates that his motivation to persevere is just because “Christ Jesus has made me his own”. How does this work? Why might the assurance that Paul belongs to Christ motivate him to “strain forward” toward heaven?
9. Why might Paul consider it a mark of maturity to recognize your own imperfection?
10. What things are you hesitant to lose or count as rubbish for the sake of Christ? Why? How might this relate to putting confidence in the flesh? How do you see yourself putting confidence in your achievements?
11. How have you seen placing confidence in self rather than Christ affect your joy in Christ, perseverance in Christ, or your relationship with him?
12. How does the righteousness that is from God achieve what you are trying to achieve by your own efforts?
13. How might your life look differently if you were to believe by faith that Christ’s righteousness was enough for you in each moment of life?
©1994-2023 Cru. All Rights Reserved.