Whatever you did for New Year’s Eve, it probably didn’t change your life the way handful of events did for college students around the country.
After celebrating Christ’s birth, thousands of college students packed their bags and traveled to their region’s annual winter conference with Cru.
For some, it was a time to get away from the hurt in their household or the pressures from family members. Some were looking for a fresh start from the regret, shame and guilt they experienced the previous semester.
It was a time for seniors to ask God for clarity about their futures. For others, it became the time of placing their faith in Christ.
Were you at a conference? What was your highlight? What are you still thinking about?
Tell us in the Facebook comments below.
Here’s what happened around the country:
Radiate (PA, NJ, MD, DE, VA, WV)
- Students gave Radiate its largest recorded giving donations toward some of Cru’s overseas partnerships such as: Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, and the Sahara.
Encounter (KY, TN, NC, SC)
- The vision of the conference was to “Come Help Change the World” based on the title of Bill Bright’s book, which challenges students to consider casting a stone across the waters and make many ripples in this world.
- An “Art Expression Room” was created for though seeking a way to draw closer to God through art as an act of worship.
IndyCC (MI, IL, IN, OH)
- Guest performances this year included Phil Wickham, Tenth Avenue North and Switchfoot
- Students delivered Holiday Care Boxes to help meet peoples’ physical needs, which opened doors to help their spiritual needs as well.
- Students participated in distributing Boxes of Love in the Twin Cities neighborhoods in combination with local churches and Here’s Life Inner City for a day of outreach.
- Northwest invited students to be present in Jesus, encouraging them that “his spirit is present in us to empower us to know him and live for him by being present in the world to declare and display his love.”
Move (CA, AZ, HI)
San Diego, CA
- Move partnered with Feed Children Everywhere packing over 100,000 meals for less fortunate families in the Southern California area.
- Speakers incluced Paul Tripp, pastor, author and international conference speaker, as well as Roger Hershey, author of “The Finishers”
- Musical guest featured All Sons and Daughters and Aaron Keyes
- Students filled out a commitment card pledging their year of 2014 to be a year of surrender: “Lord Jesus, I surrender to you in the power of your spirit, I will go where you want me to go, do what you want me to do, say what you want me to say, and give what you want me to give.”
- Students placed fluorescent stickers on a map of the world where they felt like God was calling them to either go on missions or pray for that specific country.