What is Your Burden?
Find what ministry God might be calling you toward
There are many needs in the world. Poverty, homelessness, unreached people groups, sex trafficking, broken homes, orphans, church division—the list can go on and on. But where does God want you to focus your limited free time? What area of ministry might He be calling toward?
Use the following questions to discover your unique burden—that thing or cause or people group that God wants you to focus on in ministry. Take some time to consider these questions. Print this page, or save the questions to your phone. Ask God to guide you as you see His direction for your ministry.
- If you were asked to create a TV special about something that moves you, what would it be about?
- What magazines intrigue you most at a newsstand? What sections or articles most catch your attention?
- What biblical passages has God used deeply in your life?How have the passages shaped your view of life and the world?
- What rewarding experiences has God given you?
- How has God used you significantly in the past? (recognize that God might have used you but it not be your burden; generically I helped someone but that specific way would weigh me down)
- What are the things that make you feel the most alive when you participate in them?
- In what ways do you most enjoy serving others?
- Who are the people you find yourself voluntarily getting together with, again and again, for deeper discussions? What are your deepest discussions about?
- How would you use a gift of a million dollars if it had to be given away to a cause that moves you?
- Is there any need or problem you believe in so strongly that you’d be willing to make significant sacrifices?
After answering a few questions like these, you should begin to see a few patterns emerge. These patterns are important. They are keys to the passions and desires that God has placed in your heart. Don’t rush this process too much. Patterns usually emerge and become clearer over time. How these passions get lived out in your life is part of the adventure of walking with God for a lifetime.
Begin crafting a personal mission statement to gain a clearer vision and purpose for your life.
Adapted from 8 Habits for the Transition.