The Christian and the Holy Spirit
How You Can Be Filled with the Holy Spirit
A desire to serve Jesus Christ and help others receive Him as their Lord and Savior should be your motive for being filled with the Holy Spirit.
Review the video above. A careful study will enable you to gain the greatest benefit from the lesson.
What You Must Know
- What is the command found in Ephesians 5:18?
- What is the promise found in I John 5:14-15?
- According to these Scriptures, why do you need to be filled with the Spirit? (Galatians 5:22-23, Acts 1:8)
The fruit of the Spirit is never an end in itself, but only a means to the end. We win men and women to Christ, which in turn brings glory and honor to Him. (John 15:8)
What You Must Feel
- What is one prerequisite to being filled with the Spirit according to Matthew 5:6?
- How are you applying this to your life?
What You Must Do
- If your desire to be filled with the Spirit is sincere, what will you do now? (Romans 12:1-2)
This means there can be no unconfessed sin in your life. The Holy Spirit cannot fill an unclean vessel. He waits to fill you with His power.
- How then are you filled with the Holy Spirit? (Matthew 7:7-11, John 7:37-39)
- Will the Holy Spirit fill you if you ask Him? How do you know? (I John 5:14-15)
- You can be filled with the Holy Spirit only by faith. Prayer is one way of expressing your faith. If you truly desire to be filled with the Holy Spirit, you can pray this prayer now:
Dear Father, I need you. I acknowledge that I have been directing my own life and that, as a result, I have sinned against you. I thank you that you have forgiven my sins through Christ's death on the cross for me. I now invite you to again take your place on the throne of my life. Fill me with the Holy Spirit as you commanded me to be filled. I pray this in the name of Jesus. As an expression of my faith, I thank you for taking control of my life and for filling me with the Holy Spirit.
- What must you have when you ask Him to fill you? (Hebrews 11:6)
If you have asked the Holy Spirit to fill you, thank Him. God is dependable; His word is true. If you are sincere, He has filled you.
- What should be your attitude from this day forward? (I Thessalonians 5:18)
Adapted from The 10 Basic Steps Toward Christian Maturity, by Bill Bright, co-founder of Campus Crusade for Christ. © Campus Crusade for Christ. All rights reserved.