No matter our level of spiritual maturity, connecting with God is important. Prayer is a unique and vibrant way to experience that connection in our daily lives.
That connection can also be deepened as we pray together.
Why Pray Together?
Praying with others only enhances its benefits by:
- demonstrating Jesus' presence (Matthew 18:20).
- building the discipline to pray.
- creating spiritual intimacy with others.
- encouraging others (Hebrews 10:25).
- causing growth in each other (Proverbs 27:17).
- following the example set in Scripture by Jesus, His disciples, and the early church (Luke 9:28, Acts 1:14, Acts 2:42).
"We are not praying for the sake of each other, but praying to the Lord," reminds Milton Monell, director of the Global Prayer Movement, a ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ.
How Do You Measure Success?
A successful prayer meeting is one where people gather in faith, trusting God for the results and answers. It is not contingent on the number of people who show up, how eloquently we speak, or the length of time we are together.
Revisiting the reasons why we pray and why we pray with others will guide our expectations of what God will do.
We can pray confidently because prayer:
- pleases God. (Proverbs 15:8)
- allows us to participate in God's work (James 5:16).
- calls God to action (2 Chronicles 7:14).
- helps us to know God better.
- is commanded (1 Thessalonians 5:17, Colossians 4:2, Ephesians 6:18, Romans 12:12).
- is modeled by Jesus (Mark 1:35, Luke 6:12, Luke 11:1-4).
"Prayer honors God, acknowledges His being, exalts His power, adores His providence, secures His aid." E.M. Bounds
Why Continue Praying?
Many people neglect prayer for different reasons. They might not see the value of prayer, especially in the midst of a busy and distracting world. Maybe they see God as being too preoccupied to give attention to their "petty" concerns. Others might view Him as being distant and unreachable. Or perhaps they just fail to see their own worth in God's eyes, allowing guilt and shame to prevent them from praying.
The beauty of connecting with God through prayer is that He not only hears, but He truly listens and responds. He is not limited in His ability to give His attention. He is not confined by space and time. And, His heart of love for us is beyond measure.