System Administrator II
Pay Level: Negotiable
Responsible for tasks associated with the implementation, maintenance and support of mission critical, specialized systems and applications, to include: VMware ESXi 4/5, VMware vSphere, Windows Server 2003/2008, Linux (RHEL). Work in conjunction with direction to other System Administrators on the team. Responsible to install, document, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair hardware, operating systems, associated application software, and peripheral devices/systems. Also supports the various computer applications delivering functionality to Cru’s core business units and employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with technical staff (System Administrators, Applications Programmers, and Database Administrators) to support all functions related to System (VMWARE ESX) and Storage virtualization; adhering to industry best practices and standards.
- Set up hardware, operating system, and database connectivity for application servers.
- Assist with giving technical users appropriate access to data they need.
- Monitor performance of the servers and related software and hardware for critical ministry information systems. Available 24 hours a day/7 days a week to fix critical problems. Anticipate and preemptively resolve problems such as running out of disk space.
- Assure that the servers for critical ministry wide information systems are correctly backed up and periodically tests restoration to assure recovery is possible. Perform recovery from backups in the event of hardware failure or other loss of data. Assure off-site backups are current for use in disaster recovery.
- Implement and maintain Configuration Management practices and documentation for all hardware, operating systems and application software according to Cru Technology policies.
- Assist in the research and recommendations for the assigned Windows Servers to sustain performance, reliability, capacity, and availability.
- Adhere to existing policies and procedures regarding change control, incident response, and testing processes for modifications to Windows Servers/Operating systems, application software and hardware.
- Operate and plan for corporate business systems as assigned, to ensure proper capacity and availability.
- Define and adhere to service level agreements regarding all Windows Servers and Operating systems; along with business applications where applicable and assigned.
- Function as a technical resource throughout any assigned project, testing, training and implementations.
- Perform complex technical analysis to provide 2nd Tier technical support and problem resolution for all assignments. Install, upgrade, maintain, and monitor/logs all accesses made to enterprise servers and systems.
- Follow and comply with all security guidelines for privacy and security policies.
- All responsibilities are to be performed according to generally accepted industry standards and published best practices.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations maybe made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL OF:
- Strong organizational skills.
- Analytical, technical and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Background and hands-on knowledge of Windows Operating Systems, is preferred, along with Anti-Virus protection, Enterprise Backup and Recovery, Windows 2000/2003 Server Operating Systems, Windows 2000/2003 Active Directory, Active Directory Group Policy Management, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Clustering, Microsoft IIS Web Services, Microsoft Proxy/ISA, Microsoft Terminal Services, Microsoft Networking, Microsoft SMS, Microsoft SharePoint, ScriptLogic
- Knowledge of other operating systems, platforms, servers, and applications, a plus
- Experience in support and management of corporate applications very helpful
- Knowledge of commonly used virtualization software such as VMware ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, Oracle OVM.
- Dell and IBM Server Equipment
- Understand and apply guidelines, policies, and procedures
- Work well with a team or as an individual; a self starter
- Maintain current knowledge of technological advances in the field and in the ministry
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Work cooperatively with others using tact, patience, and courtesy
- Work confidentially with discretion and independently with little direction
- Meet time schedules, deadlines, and plan and organize work
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree from a four year college and at least a minimum of 3 years experience in IT services, supporting Microsoft products, operating systems and applications or equivalent combination of education and experience. Qualified candidate should also possess a minimum of 3 years experience of server build, test, and deployment and be familiar with Key Technologies, i.e., Microsoft Operating Systems, Applications and Methodologies. Large scale global deployments as a Server Administrator a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, and/or REGISTRATIONS:
Microsoft, RedHat, Vmware certifications are a plus.